While you are vacationing at Walt Disney World and experiencing all the Magic that the four main theme parks have to offer, you may not realize there are 220 acres where sporting fun takes place.
The ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, which was originally built in 1997 and was named Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex, was rebranded using the ESPN name in 2010.
This complex has 9 venues and hosts many amatuer and professional sporting events throughout the year.
* Champion Stadium – 9,500 seat baseball stadium. It is the spring training home of the Atlanta Braves and hosts home games for the Gulf Coast Braves. This venue is sponsored by Haines with their Champion Brand.
* HP Field House – 5,000 seat multi-purpose arena. 70,000 square feet and has a smaller gymnasium located behind the main area with retractable seating. This venue is sponsored by Hewlett Packard
* Jostens Center – 44,800 square feet arena. Can accommodate either 12 college size basketball courts, 12 volleyball courts or 2 roller hockey rinks. This is the newer of the two multi-purpose arenas that host many events such as cheerleading and dance competitions. This is sponsored by Jostens, the class ring maker.
* Hess Sports Fields – 8 multi-purpose fields that can host a number of different sports. Two of the fields are set up for night play. Four of the fields are set to international soccer field size. 2 of the fields are set up with permanent seating with the ability to add more. These fields are sponsored by the Hess Corporation.
* Baseball Quadraplex – consists of 4 professional fields and one practice infield. Two of the fields are set up for night play and their are many batting cages, hitting tunnels, pitching mounds and 10 bullpens.
* Softball Diamondplex – consists of 6 fields
* Centre Court Stadium – 1,000 to 8,500 seat complex with 10 courts.
* Cross Country Course – part of the track and field complex, multipurpose fields, and a .7mile wooded trail.
* Track and Field Complex – designed to the International Association of Athletics Federations specifications. It has a 9 lane track, 3 shot put rings, 2 discuss/hammer rings, a javelin runway, 2 high jump areas, 2 horizontal jump areas and 2 pole vault runways. There is seating for 5,000.
Place to eat? The ESPN Wide World of Sports Grill which is open during most events from 10am to 8pm and can be reserved for functions during off times. It is a counter service dining location, where you order at the counter and the food is delivered to your table. There are large big screen TV all around the inside that play ESPN channels.
Check out this location for special events or games that you may want to attend. Disneyworld Resorts have bus transportation to the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex for your convenience.